For 10U and above, VGSA has two types of teams that play in spring league every year: recreational and independent club teams.
Recreational teams are formed by VGSA through the individual registration process. All girls who register for VGSA will be placed on a team unless, in the rare event, adequate coaching is not available. Our teams are focused on player development, teamwork and confidence building. We instruct our coaches to give equal playing time to all the girls and communicate with parents if there is anything which would interfere with this goal. Players looking to learn fundamentals without the pressure of competitive play will find these teams to be a great fit.
Club teams strive to be more competitive and play both league and tournaments. As a courtesy to both the teams and the parents, we will post information about their try-outs. However, we do not make any player decisions for the teams. It is up to the coaches and the parents to determine if their player is a good fit. Club teams will also have a different pricing structure since they generally include more uniform options, equipment, training opportunities and tournaments.
Recreational (C) To qualify in this division:
- The league will assign available players first to the recreational teams.
- Teams may not play in more than two local area tournaments (other than the local District tournament).
- Fund raising should be kept at under $50 per player.
- Required uniforms should also be kept to an affordable investment by team parents.
- No tryouts are allowed for recreational teams.
- Returning players may stay on the same team if they register by the first registration date.
Tournament (B) To qualify in this division:
- Teams may find most of their own players but the appropriate age level league director is available to help and/or assign players to the team.
- Teams plan to play in at least three, but no more than eight tournaments for the coming year.
- Player fees will include uniforms, equipement and tournament expenses.(ask for a list)
- Teams will have a player/team fundraising expectation of no more than $100 per team member.
- Teams will generally keep their returning players and only hold try-outs for open positions.
Tournament (A) To qualify in this division:
- Teams must find their own players
- Teams expect to play in at least six tournaments for the coming year and are trying to qualify for the State, Regional, and/or the "A" National Championship Tournaments.
- Teams will have player/team fund-raising expectations of greater than $200 per team member. This expectation may or may not include travel expenses.
- Player fees will include uniforms, equipment and tournament expenses. (ask for a list)
- "A" teams are allowed to have tryouts.
- First year 10U teams are not approved for A level play.
- Players are not guaranteed a returning spot on the team that they played on the previous year.
Click here to learn about openings at the “A” and “B” tournament level.